Spent the last few days in bed, suffering from great pain in my back. Slipped disc, says the physiotherapist... Since I had to stay in bed, I took the chance to read this book I got last week - My sister's keeper by Jodi Picoult. Wow, what a read!
I was really moved by the story of love, of letting go of rights and justice, of life full of choices yet none is dictated as right or wrong but always to be measured in its context.
It spoke of God being bigger than all that we are. He is the one who creates, he is the one who gives life and he is also the one who takes it away from us. And in all of this, the story is always beautiful, beyond what eyes can see.
As I was lying in bed, the only position I have no pain as I couldn't walk more than 10 steps..., this book spoke of pain in a deeper way and I was able to relate with the pain of the characters. I was so caught up by this book and the wonder of life and events that are out of our control. It brought me to see my choices in life, of how I live it and make the best out of it alongside with many unexpected turns.
While reading, I also received a saddening news of the death of a friend. Liz Lee died after most likely suffering from the effects of her dialysis which she went through that morning. Fell flat on her face after excess vomiting, she was unable to breathe and no one was able to help her breathe again.
Saying good bye to her at the funeral brought back gratitude of a dear friend who introduced me to Jesus in a very personal way. She faithfully journeyed with me in my teenage years, the years I was so on fire for God. She was there to give me answers to my questions about life when I had many of them, gave me a shoulder to cry on and shared lots and lots of laughter and joy together. She believed in me when no one did. She brought me to every meeting or training that she was attending as a pastoral leader which gave me bigger perspective of life in community, of God and of journeying with His people.
I am so grateful to God for this dear friend who has served me wholeheartedly. And now, it's her turn to be served and welcomed in glory. So significant, as she died on the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Many things to reflect about in these days of physical pain. Indeed, God has a time and a season for everything under heaven!
No comments:
Post a Comment