Sunday, 15 April 2012

Weekend at Bongkud

I joined the team for their weekend of YPL2 at Kg Bongkud, Ranau. Initially, not intending to do anything except observe but got myself into giving a session for the 18 participants yesterday afternoon.

The students from Form 4-6 were preparing for their outreach to another village next week. I was impressed to see their leadership skills and courage in conversing in English.

As I came out from the Liturgy of the Word at their chapel today, someone came to talk to me. Who would have known that there is someone I know in this small village which I have never been to... We spoke for over an hour, catching up, sharing on our new environment and work.

She shared that she feels her time with youth work is over since she doesn't seem to be able to connect with them now. I was reminded of this feeling a few years ago. When reality hits, age has separated me from connecting with the young people like I used to.

In my reflection on this, I realised that I don't need to be one of them. What they are also looking for is mentors that they can look up to and talk about life. No wonder they call me "mummy"!!

My highlight of the weekend was my time with the youth leader who looked like he wanted to talk. I wasn't ready to listen as I felt so drained from my session that afternoon. After walking around a bit, I finally sat near him and asked how he is doing. Well, I suppose he would appreciate that instead of pretending to read the newspaper for the 10th time that day...

Our conversation ended with a happy man with broad smiles after thinking through some questions I asked him. Amazing how questioning can bring one to discover the fact of the matter... Am really grateful that I had a chance to help bring light and uncover doubt and fear.

No comments: