It has been a bit more than a year since I started thinking about getting trained in becoming a certified Life Coach. It is quite a new "profession" although its practice is not all that new. It is in some ways very similar to what we know as discipleship. A coach would listen, encourage, give feedback, sometimes challenge one's "client" to move towards the desired goal.
I have enrolled myself with the ICA (International Coaching Academy) since the beginning of July. All classes are done through the phone. My lecturers are only a phone call away, at a scheduled time. Thank God, it's relatively cheap to call the US from Germany. There are a lot of supportive materials on the web and students are encouraged to read through them before attending the "teleclass".
I have nearly finished the foundational course and hope to move towards the advance coaching course next month. It has been very exciting for me and I am so glad that I have this opportunity to do this.
This idea came as we started thinking seriously about what we would want to do when we are at home in Malaysia. We discovered that we have a strong desire to continue helping people discover the purpose and call of their lives. I can see that through this tool, I will be able to continue doing what I have been doing in the mission. Moreover, through coaching as a profession, the scope of people that I may be able to reach out to will broaden.
Life Coaching is still not very known in Malaysia compared to Executive or Business Coaching. Life coaching is for anyone who wish to move forward in life. It could be the desire to find a better job, start a different career, have more friends, have better relationships in families, have a better working environment, better communication with friends or work mate.
A life coach can also help someone to work through problems of feeling too timid, feeling over weight, being diorganised, overly stressed, overcoming addictions and the likes.
I am praying that God will open the door for us and give us the right connection to start. In the meantime, I am encouraged to do as much coaching as possible to practice my skills. So, if you are interested or know someone who would like to try out having a life coach, please let me know... Also, I'll be glad to help you out if you would like to know more about Life Coaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment